fbpx

Get back on the court quickly with tennis injury treatment in Somerville

tennis injury treatment somerville

If your idea of exercise is grabbing your set of tennis rackets and heading to the nearest court, you’ve probably already been back at it again this spring and plan on continuing to do so over the next few months. Tennis is a great form of physical activity that works out several parts of the body, but just like every other sport, it can also lead to a number of injuries. Fortunately, we see patients who have injured themselves on the tennis court often, and as a result, we offer effective tennis injury treatment in Somerville.

Tennis can be played on a variety of surfaces, including clay, carpet, grass, and hard court, and it requires lots of speed, power, balance and coordination in order to play well. As a result of these factors and the general repetitive nature of tennis, a number of injuries to the elbow, wrist, knees, ankles and spine occur frequently during play.

The majority of tennis injuries—about 67%—are overuse injuries. This means they develop after performing the same motion—the swinging of the racket—repeatedly over time, while traumatic injuries are the result of a single incident and account for the other 33%. One of the most well-known tennis injuries is lateral epicondylitis, or tennis elbow, which is an overuse injury of the muscles that help wrist extend. Symptoms include pain or burning on the outer part of the elbow and weak grip strength, which often develop gradually and get worse with activity, which makes playing tennis very difficult

Other common injuries to the upper limbs include rotator cuff tendinitis and wrist strains, which usually occur due to the high velocity of the tennis ball and the repetitive arm motions in tennis. Injuries to the lower limbs are also very common in tennis and are caused by the sprinting, stopping, pivoting and pounding nature of the sport. These include ankle sprains, knee pain, Achilles tendinitis and tennis toe. Due to the all the rotating of the torso in tennis, back pain and injuries may also arise in some players.

Since most of these injuries are due to overuse, it should be refreshing to know that in many cases they can be minimized or prevented entirely with proper conditioning and techniques that will also improve your game. In addition, we can provide comprehensive tennis injury treatment in Somerville to diagnose and treat your condition in the most effective manner possible. For general precautions, we recommend the following:

  • Always warm up and stretch before playing, and cool down afterwards
  • Be sure you’re using proper footwear and equipment; most tennis shoes are more robust than running shoes due to their multi-directional purposes
  • Perform strengthening exercises, especially for your arms and core muscles, to prevent overuse injuries that occur from weakened muscles
  • Avoid over-repetition of any one type of shot; instead, practice a range of strokes
  • Maintain adequate fitness and flexibility levels with conditioning exercises that are specific to the physical demands of tennis
  • Have an expert evaluate your gameplay to ensure your techniques are being executed correctly, and focus on improving areas that need work
  • Incorporate some non-tennis cross-training into your exercise routine

There’s no reason you shouldn’t be able to take advantage of the warm-weather months and play as much tennis as possible, and this includes injury. Follow the provided tips to stay safe, and if you do happen to get injured, come see us for tennis injury treatment in Somerville. Contact Arrow Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation at 908-393-9877 or click here to schedule an appointment at any of our four clinics in Union, Woodbridge, Edison or Somerville NJ. For more information on tennis elbow, visit OrthoInfo.

Categories: Injury

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: